Monday, November 7, 2011

Review/Recommendation


At the conclusion of the novel, I was left with feelings of satisfaction. The book didn’t completely blow me away but it was still adequate. It is surely not the best book I’ve ever read but it nevertheless offered a strong message and an entertaining plot line. My main issue with the book is that I fell like I’ve read it before. The ending was very predictable and the plot was very stagnant. I also wish there would have been more imagery. I never once developed a mental map of the area in which the characters lived. I couldn’t pick up on the type of environment or even characteristics of the time period.  Lastly, I found the text to be rather different than I am used to. The characters spoke in long monologues that were well structured and thought out. Oscar Wilde did a very good job of using language and being descriptive, but so much of it was through dialogue that lasted for pages. However, there were many aspects of the book that I did enjoy.  For example, I liked the diction in the book. The words the characters used were authentic and helped put a date on the dismantled setting. Also, the book offered a very sincere and honest message that could be applied anywhere. The book addressed many things in life that would otherwise be overlooked, which is why I recommend it to others. If you’re interested in a late 1800s, dramatic novel, than this would be a good choice.  I believe one could benefit from the exceptional use of words and the life-long messages buried deep within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment