Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Confusion

There were certain things in this chapter that I found to be very confusing. Firstly, I could not understand the relationship between Lord Henry and Dorian Gray. Lord Henry is a character that is very smart. He often talks in length about more serious topics and deeper life lessons. At one point, Lord Henry was talking about all of the bad things he heard about Gray from his aunt. However later, in the garden at Basil’s studio, Lord Henry talks to Dorian about his potential and how beautiful he is. I found this relationship to be rather odd and uncommon. It seems as though the characters are talking in circles and saying things that are not necessarily true. Another aspect of this section that was confusing was Dorian Gray’s feelings about his portrait. When he saw it, he loved it and realized how beautiful he actually was. But when he realized he would get older, he started to cry. He then goes on to say he wishes the picture would age and his actual body wouldn’t. I don’t understand how he hopes to accomplish this. Overall, I have found the characters’ behavior to be rather strange and it has me bewildered.

No comments:

Post a Comment